Research Assistant in Physiology

Drexel University

Research Assistant in Physiology 

Apply now Job no: 501268
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Center City - Philadelphia, PA
Categories: College of Medicine

Job Summary

This Research Assistant Professor position in the Department of Pharmacology and Physiology at Drexel University College of Medicine is an intensive, supervised career development experience in the biomedical sciences leading to research independence in psychoneuroimmunology. Under the mentorship of Dr. Peter Gaskill and Dr. Olimpia Meucci, this individual will be responsible for a variety of experiments (75%) that focus on the molecular mechanisms underlying the inflammatory impact of antidepressants on human macrophages iPSC-derived microglia and macrophages, and iPSC-derived microglia/neuron co-cultures in the context of HIV. The remaining commitment (25%) will be divided among other research, student mentoring, and teaching activities to promote the candidate’s development into an independent investigator.

Essential Functions

Activities related to the mentored research project (K01), such as             

  • Design/conduct/analyze technically advanced experiments.
  • Manuscript/grant writing
  • Prepare scientific reports and material for presentations.
  • Develop new technical skills and independent program.
  • Networking and mentoring
  • Professional development/specialized courses
  • Training of junior graduate students/peers
  • Regularly meet w/mentors for updates, progress reports, feedback.
  • Contribution to academic/scientific missions of the department as indicated by Chair

Required Qualifications

  • Minimum of a PhD in Neuroscience / Immunology.  
  • Minimum of a year of 3-5 years postdoc experience.

Preferred Qualifications

  • Successful records of publication and mentoring of junior students
  • Training in neuroimmunology (HIV/psychiatric disorders preferred)

Physical Demands

  • Typically sitting at a desk/table
  • Typically standing, walking
  • Lifting demands <25lbs


Center City,  Philadelphia PA

Special Instructions to the Applicant

Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.

Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.

Advertised: Jun 26 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 26 2023 Eastern Daylight Time

Apply now